TangoTec’s GOLAN™ Analog Front End (AFE) is based on the ITU-T G.hn (G.9960, G.9963 and G.9964) standard which supports blazing speeds of up to 2Gbps for IP entertainment networking over the powerline, coax and phoneline. The GOLAN™ is a dual channels Full-Duplex AFE chip with advanced communication solution containing Rx Programmable Gain Amplifier (PGA), 12 bits Analog to Digital Converter (ADC), 12 bits Digital to Analog Converter (DAC). For Baseband and RF applications (Powerline, Phoneline, Coax and RF Coax), the GOLAN™ AFE includes an integrated Line Dr iver. For RF coax ial applications, the AFE includes an RF up & down converter to support bandpass operating frequency range between 100MHz - 3GHz. The GOLAN™ AFE provides raw throughput data of up to 2 Gbps.
- ITU-T G.hn (G.9960/G.9963/G.9964) compliant
- Powerline, Coax (BB and RF) & Twisted Pair mediums
- Baseband - Operating frequency 0-200 MHz
- RF (bandpass) - Operating frequency 0.1 - 3 GHz
- Supports G.9960 Annex C
- Supports MIMO technology over Powerline
- Supports Annex F - Plastic Optical Fiber (PoF)
- 25, 50, 100 & 200MHz Bandplans supporting throughput rates of up to 2Gbps
- Integrated Line Driver
- Single Reference Clock
- 12 bits DAC @500MSPS
- 12 bits ADC @500MSPS
- Low noise
- Up to +20dBm output Power
- Programmable gain for Tx and Rx (PGA)
- Variable Gain Amplifier supports 60 dB control range
- Low power consumption in Sleep Mode operation
- Extended temperature range: -40°C to +85°C
- Green Standard (ROHS) Compliant
Tx Analog Front End
The Tx of the GOLAN™ AFE includes a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC), RF up converter, Low Pass Filter (LPF) and Programmable Gain Amplifier (PGA). The LPF cutoff frequency is set slightly above 200MHz to attenuate noise coming from the DAC, commutation frequency and its harmonics. The Tx PGA provides for programmable power control, followed by the level converter and integrated Line Driver. The Tx PGA provides voltage gain and digital gain control for the Tx signal between the Tx LPF and Tx Line Driver stages. The Tx PGA supports 30 dB of gain control, in 2 dB increments.
Rx Analog Front End
The Rx part of the GOLAN™ AFE includes an Analog to Digital Converter (ADC) and Variable Gain Amplifier (VGA). The Rx VGA gain is automatically controlled by the Automatic Gain Control (AGC) logic from the MAC. The AGC controls the AFE Rx gain to provide an optimum signal level to the Analog to Digital Converter (ADC). The Rx VGA provides low-noise VGA with a digital gain control of the Rx signal from the input stage. The Rx VGA provides 60 dB of gain control range, in 1 dB increments. The primary requirement of the Rx VGA is to provide the maximum signal-to-noise ratio possible at the ADC input. The system AGC through firmware in the G.hn MAC/PHY selects the optimum Rx gain setting to provide the highest input voltage to the ADC without clipping on signal peaks.